7 meter Coated wire
A bag of small White plastic strips
2 x White hooks
5 x small Pots Vaso Alto
5 x plastic cups
5 liter of Leca-balls
1 x water reservoir pot Vaso Alto
1 x suction cup
Lacquer for protection of the water reservoir pot
Air and watering system
1 x Airpump
2 x One-way valve
2 x 2m Air tube 4/6mm (clear) Avoid PVC!
1 x T-joint
1 x Adjustment valve
1 x fertilizer
1 x PH paper
1. This is how to assemble a WindowFarm using 5 standard terracotta pots and a bigger size for water reservoir.
2. Drill two holes in your window frame with the distance of the diameter of your terracotta pots. Here you fasten two hooks and hang the coated wire on the midpoint.
3. Find all of your 12 small aluminum fixtures.
4. Assemble the wire and fixtures into a joint like this.
5. Move the joint to the desired height.
6. With a little patience you are able to find the perfect distance between the fixtures. The coated wires should hold firmly around the pots.
7. Carefully remove the pot and measure the distance between the two fixtures.
8. Now start from the top and work your way downwards using the same distance between each joint. Use the bigger terracotta pot at the bottom.
9. After some adjustments, your setup should look something like this.
10. Make sure all pots are leveled and are not tilting outwards, inwards, left or right.
11. Find your plastic cups and make sure that water can drip through the bottom. If there are not enough holes… drill some more!
12. The plastic cups should fit like this.
13. Now strap the tube to the side of the cups with plastic strips.
14. Make sure to have enough tube left at the top. Use a rubber band to adjust the perfect angle of the tube end.
15. Paint the inside of the lowest pot with lacquer to protect it from… water!
16. A suction cup forms a perfect joint for the water tube. Drill a hole with a smaller diameter than the tube and glue it on top of the hole in the pot. Then seal the edges with a final layer of lacquer.
17. Squeeze a tube through the suction cop and connect it to the water reservoir.
18. Connect the tubes as shown in this diagram.
19. Make sure that you have enough "water tube storage" to prevent air flowing the wrong way into the water reservoir. Height of windowfarm = length of "water tube storage"
20. If needed you can add another adjustment valve for a better control of the air flow.
21. Connect a timer and set the it at intervals of 15minutes ON – 15 minutes OFF etc.
22. Fill the plastic cups with Leca balls.
23. To avoid the drops to travel on the underside of the pots, you can glue a rubber band around the hole to create a drip edge.
24. To ensure noiseless dripping you can attach a string to the pot hole. The water drops can then travel down the string without making any sounds.
25. Add your plants. FINAL