Major change of my setup will happen soon. I have realized that the water reservoir pots could be bigger in order for the system to work for a longer time without me adding water. Ideally it should be able to rund for a week! Currently the system only runs for a day before I need to top up with more water. Therefore I have decided to simplify the system a bit and add one big water jug. Since the old reservoir pots are sealed they should be able to collect the water and funnel it into the return water tubes.
1. This is how to assemble a WindowFarm using 5 standard terracotta pots and a bigger size for water reservoir.
2. Drill two holes in your window frame with the
distance of the diameter of your terracotta pots. Here you fasten two hooks and
hang the coated wire on the midpoint.
3. Find all
of your 12 small aluminum fixtures.
the wire and fixtures into a joint like this.
5. Move the joint to the desired height.
6. With a
little patience you are able to find the perfect distance between the fixtures.
The coated wires should hold firmly around the pots.
remove the pot and measure the distance between the two fixtures.
8. Now start
from the top and work your way downwards using the same distance between each joint. Use
the bigger terracotta pot at the bottom.
9. After some adjustments, your
setup should look something like this.
10. Make sure
all pots are leveled and are not tilting outwards, inwards, left or right.
11. Find your
plastic cups and make sure that water can drip through the bottom. If there are not enough holes… drill some more!
plastic cups should fit like this.
13. Now strap
the tube to the side of the cups with plastic strips.
14. Make sure
to have enough tube left at the top. Use a rubber band to adjust the perfect
angle of the tube end.
15. Paint the
inside of the lowest pot with lacquer to protect it from… water!
16. A suction
cup forms a perfect joint for the water tube. Drill a hole with a smaller diameter
than the tube and glue it on top of the hole in the pot. Then seal the edges
with a final layer of lacquer.
17. Squeeze a tube through the suction cop and connect it to the water reservoir.
18. Connect the tubes as shown in this diagram.
19. Make sure that you have enough "water tube storage" to prevent air flowing the wrong way into the water reservoir. Height of windowfarm = length of "water tube storage"
needed you can add another adjustment valve for a better control of the air flow.
21. Connect a timer and
set the it at intervals of 15minutes ON – 15 minutes OFF etc.
22. Fill the
plastic cups with Leca balls.
23. To avoid the drops to travel on the underside of
the pots, you can glue a rubber band around the hole to create a drip edge.
24. To ensure noiseless dripping you can attach a
string to the pot hole. The water drops can then travel down the string without
making any sounds.